Here is a brief description from the designer:
- For Glenmorangie, we were requested to create a sculptural piece for the launch of Glenmorangie Scotch Whisky in Taiwan & China. For this, SoundForm FLUID was conceived as a concrete visualization of the wavelength generated in pouring a liquid into a crystal glass.
- The idea for the Glenmorangie work, SoundForm FLUID, is a development of my studios’ research in the manner in which sound can be conveyed and transformed into a tangible object. The intention behind the SoundForm series is that they are seen as a visual poetry, where the representation of sound conveys an intended meaning or effect.
- SoundForm FLUID originated through the visuals of the audio recording of sound created by the pouring of liquid into a crystal glass, where the subsequent graph, or sonogram, recording was used as a base profile, or visual, instigating the geometry.
- In this work, you have the movement of the pouring of the liquid which creates this languid, rhythmic motion, the reaction between the glass and the liquid and then, the resulting stillness as it settles.
- At each stage of the creation process, revisions, alterations and adjustments were carried out to allow for the realization. In the fabrication, we had to resolve demanding technical issues to do with the complex compound curves of the design, as well as developing new techniques for the finishing, which is a powder coating of 2 different colours – a fascinating challenge that required a new approach.
- Primarily this is about a sculptural form and the function as a bar is secondary to this. The entire process began purely as a sculptural concept – ink lines drawn on a roll of trace INTERPRETING the wavelengths recorded in that act of pouring the liquid into a crystal glass.
No Comments »
No comments yet.